Friday, March 20, 2009

Tejas


This is an entry from last weekend - I'm including it now that I have internet-access. Sweet, sweet, internet access:

This weekend was a bit of a change in plans. There are several teams in the Gulf Coast, and four teams, including ours, were needed to retrieve some support vehicles for NCCC headquarters. About 2-4 Corps members from each of the four teams and their TL's traveled together after meeting here at Camp Hope. We left midday Friday, stayed in Lake Charles, LA for the night, left in the morning to Austin Texas, where we arrived around early afternoon, and finally left this morning back to base camp in St. Bernard.

Friday night in Lake Charles we ended up staying at a girl scout camp, where a team from Wolf Unit was staying for their project. It was the first chilly night we'd had all week so we bundled up in our sleeping bags and cot mattresses in the main living area as soon as we got there. A projector was set up in the middle of the room and a sheet was hung as a screen. I fell asleep while watching Garden State... a movie I've yet to see fully without falling asleep. Someday...

Rise and shine, or lack thereof, and we were off in the cold rain for another day of driving. When we arrived at Austin at a Red Roof Inn we got our rooms, bought a couple of wi-fi internet cards and savored in the first clear signal of wireless internet in almost two weeks. Unfortunately, my inbox is still backed up, so I'll have to figure out how to get to it this upcoming week. Anyway, meanwhile, a few others left to retrieve the nearby support vehicles.

That night we traveled to downtown Austin for a bit, grabbed some food, searched for a recommended specialty cupcake place (only to find it closed), and finally to the store for a package of cupcakes, the next best thing. Had a solid night of sleep and we were off on our way back to St. Bernard via Lake Charles.

And now begins my first week working as a site supervisor to a college alternative spring break students. From what I hear, I will be supervising a Hillel group, and teaching them how to put up dry wall and mudding. Good thing I've done this for years... and by that I couldn't be more kidding. I just learned how to do this less than 7 days ago. This should be interesting. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment