Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Homelessness and the Street Soccer USA World Cup

"This gave me a lot of encouragement, that extra motivation, going out and playing, to work towards a goal. Sometimes you don't get work and everything, you get frustrated, you get mad," Carter said, breathing hard and chugging Powerade. "This helps me keep going."

For Daniel Blue, 25, a returning player who just graduated from college and is looking for work and a place to live, the team "gave me something stable to do. Even when I still had problems, it gave me an outlet and let me know that I could be all right."


Seven out of 10 Americans are one paycheck away from being homeless. I remember reading that about a year ago. I don't know if that is completely accurate, as the statistic can have a different meaning for everyone. However, the fact remains that homelessness is more prevalent than ever, especially here in DC.

This Friday, I Iearned that many who are recovering from homelessness have come together for an incredible event called Street Soccer USA World Cup. I was fortunate enough to be able to participate at the event this past Friday along with the rest of the crew and participants. Click on the quote above for the article about the St. Louis Roadies, the team that faced off against our home team.

The crew was there to help with set up, crowd control, and of course, cheer on the teams! Please take a look at the article; you won't want to miss the next Cup.

After that, check out the following web site. The paper is called StreetSense, and it is written and sold by homeless in DC. It costs a dollar and profits go towards homelessness recovery. If you're ever in DC, next time you think about grabbing the nearest sensational newspaper or magazine, buy a copy of StreetSense instead. www.streetsense.org

No comments:

Post a Comment