Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Warehouse, Salvage, and Sweat

The salvage yard, located conveniently close to our housing.

I just wrung out my uniform. No, not from the rain. I just finished my third day here in the Warehouse, completing various tasks, moving large items, and transporting what seems like endless amounts of lumber. It's a high-paced environment, and with House Captains (equivalent to Site Supervisors at our first round project) in and out, the loading and unloading of supplies becomes our main focus for the moment during various part of the day. It's very similar to a boxing match, where the boxer takes his break in the corner and several people nourish him or her and wipes their face with a towel. Get the job done, and get 'em back out there!

It's been just two of us, Harper and I, at the warehouse this week, and the rest of the team is out working on finishing a house like we were last week. It really helps to get to know how everything works and where all of the supplies go. Getting to know the warehouse has given me a new appreciation for the rebuilding process. For one thing, I know that we wouldn't be able to work on these houses so quickly without the warehouse and its efficiency. Furthermore, I know that next time I'm out at a house working, I'll do my best to keep things clean as possible, to cause as little headache as possible when it comes to the boxing break.

Today, I was in the Salvage yard. It's located right outside of the warehouse, also known as our backyard. It's quite a workout, moving lumber in 80 degree weather with a relatively high humidity... in October. I'm beyond excited to be in this area for the second time this year, but I can't imagine having been down here during second and third rounds, at the peak of the summer. I would have caused a flood in the warehouse.

Anyway, long day, but satisfyingly productive. Time for dinner; Chloe's making a huge pan of baked ziti. I can barely contain myself. Time to indulge, bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment