Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Back in (Fire) Gear

What a break! Visited the 'rents for a week and a half, had some much-needed relaxation, caught up everything I needed to, but I'm glad to be back. As great as it was to get back to Boston for a short time, there's only so much sitting back I can do, and I'm ready to hit the ground rolling once again.

Got in late last night, and we've begun our first day of our Firefighter mini-project here in the Cecil County Area at a local trail. Today was filled with a good amount of clearing the trail and hauling freshly cut lumber, courtesy of the two sawyer-trained Corps members who have joined our team, our objective being to make the trail wider and safer.


It was quite a workout, especially dragging the trees off of the trail and into the woods, but it was certainly a pleasant change, at least for me, having gotten so accustomed to working as a crew leader and leading tutors in the classroom: less work on the body, more on the brain. Especially after such a laid back break, this was the perfect kick-start to the project. We'll be on this trail for the rest of the week. Our second week we'll starting a fire project in Virginia, and we'll where things go from there.

It's good to be back. We've got a great fire team, 6 fire fighters and 2 sawyers, and Drew, my Badger 6 team leader, happens to be our composite TL for this mini-project. I'm now at the Cecil Country Library, exhausted, after a full day and an intense day of soccer with the rest of the fire team. It feels good to be back in action.

2 comments:

  1. You're going to have HUGE biceps after all that hauling! I remember when I went on a mission trip, I dry walled and repaired a roof and I looked awesome when I came back. You are doing such good, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jay!

    My name is Alyssa, and I preparing to (hopefully) become a part of the 2010 Fall Americorps term, I have fallen in love with the idea of qualifying as a firefighter. I have lived in both California and Colorado I know how devistating these fires can be, and I'm extremely active here in the mountains.

    Any information you could give me that might help me do well with Tests and stand out in a crowd would be more than helpful.

    Lilacbreeze@live.com

    I greatly admire all those currently serving in the corps and hope to see you all in good spirits coming into the holidays.

    ReplyDelete