Friday, September 25, 2009

Final Transition


This week is marking our last transition in between projects. All of the Corps, like other transitions, comes together to live back at the village and we participate in meetings, give presentations, and prepare for the next project, which in this case is our final project.

Badger 1 organized this transition’s community meeting. Awhile back, during first transition, Badger 6 put on a pretty stellar community meeting involving a great performance of our theme song “Don’t Stop Us Now”, so I feel as though Badger 1 had a lot to live up to. Yet, they did. They went above and beyond, and put on one helluva meeting that was entertaining and creative, involving a recap of Summer of Service, a primal reading of the AmeriCorps pledge, and an epic skit by Tana and Austin, two talented Badger 1 members who received a standing ovation. The team asked me to emcee their team member introductions as they entered the stage, which was exciting. I hope I did them justice.

Awards were given out at the end of the meeting. I received Corps Member of the Round for the Badger Unit. Wooo! Rar! And then the meeting came to end and we began a campus-wide game of “Assassins” that entailed pulling another Corps member’s name out of a bag and finding and tagging them with a clothespin for at least 30 seconds without them knowing. The results of this game would be tallied during Amerilympics later in the week. I didn’t last long, as I lost the game before I even got back to the village after the meeting. I’ll have to be more on my game next time.

The rest of the week was a lot of meetings and hanging out with the rest of Corps, which included a unit meeting with all of the Badgers that included an extension of the previous day's games. There was a pie-eating contest of sorts, except the objective really involved finding all of the swedish fish hidden inside. I suppose only the pictures can do justice.
It was nice seeing everyone, because our teams haven't been together since May. Everybody looks different. You can tell, not just physically, that people have really grown and been through a lot in the past 8 months, even more than they have during longer periods of time in their lives. We’ve reached the final stretch, a scary thought that I’ll put on the back burner for now. Wonder what’s next?

No comments:

Post a Comment