Saturday, September 19, 2009

Burn Baby Burn





Now onto this past week, which was absolutely a blast. The six SOS firefighters all teamed up this past week with our amazing composite team leader Liz on a project in Southern Virginia around Suffolk. Expecting to be camping outside for a week, we were surprised to find out we'd have the option of staying in the crew house of the Wildlife headquarters.

The week was incredible, not only because of a stellar team, but because of everything we did while there. There was a chance we'd be heading up to Maine halfway through the week to do a prescribed burn. However, weather wasn't in our favor. Fortunately enough, though, we were able to have a prescribed burn right there, which was incredible. It is something we had been hoping for all year, and I'm so glad I was able to have that opportunity.


Much of the week we worked on various projects, like rebuilding boardwalks at the Great Dismal Swamp and in Virginia Beach and clearing trails. But our burn on Wednesday was definitely the highlight, working on 4 acres and getting the true wildland firefighter experience. All of us have never sweat like that in our lives. We were completely, and I mean literally, soaked through all of our layers, through to our fire uniform. It was hot hot hot, but I suppose that is what to expect when you're walking through fire.


The house we stayed at was convenient and comfortable. I actually had my own room and large bed, something I haven't experienced in a long time; it almost felt lonely, but only almost. We cooked and ate together at the end of the day, and there was even a TV, which took a few moments to get the hang of. Of course, there were several occasions where we'd turn it on, zone out, or start watching the ever-so-uplifting news, causing us to turn it off and find something else to do. It's a strange experience after being on the go all year, and now having access to television. We realized we weren't missing out on anything.

Anyway, incredible week. I got some amazing experience, was able to clear up some brush and slash and create a safer environment for the trees, and I'm going to miss it. Who knows, maybe they'll deploy us again in the final two months. In any case, I'm glad I was able to have been able to do it at least once.

Pictures are included, but I plan to blog a bit more on this. My digital camera filled up, so I ended up having to purchase a disposable to catch photos from the actual burn. Keep a look out for that coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment