Saturday, February 28, 2009

We DID start the fire.


Don't worry, I got it covered. Spot fire? No problem. Got some smoldering? I'll put it out. Worried about running or flare-ups? I'll start a control line.

No, I'm not doing a public service announcement. Today I am back at the point after an incredible week of firefighter training and certification. Somehow I've been deemed safe and qualified enough to control forest fires, and I'll be receiving my Red Card (Wildland Firefighter Type 2 certification: FFT2 for short).

After a long month of Firefighters' PT and a pack test, we deployed out to Sheppardstown, West Virginia to train and lodge at the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service facilities last week. Great classes, hands-on experience in the fields, lodging, delicious (and filling) food, and a whole lot of POPC (ask an FFT2 about that one). Not to mention hours of volleyball throughout the week. There was a great gym that we made good use of, and I may consider taking up this new hobby on a regular basis... And once the weather gets better, I hear there's a net here at the point.

And there I go again. Back to the point. This past week was incredible. Not only was I able to learn about fire behavior, terminology, and more and more and more, but a good chunk of our classes involved going out for and stopping prescribed fires, using the hand tools, creating control lines, and on our final days, going out on a squad for a simulated wildland fire.



This week only gives more proof to the fact that the best way to learn is by doing. I feel 10 times more confident if the situation were to arise now that I've already done it. I'm all fired up for the approaching fire season!

5 comments:

  1. My dear GGGGBig,

    I love hearing about your adventures. We're having lots of fun making jokes about you being a fireman, but I still am so sad you couldn't be there last night to see our new set of ugly letters on Baby Zeta. Do you have an address I can send fun things to?

    Love, your GGGGLittle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Badger 6,

    Congratulations on your induction and best of luck as you start an amazing adventure in New Orleans! Awesome blog, Jay!

    Pat (Eileen's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  3. absolutely amazing Jay!

    all my love,
    Sammie Baime

    ReplyDelete
  4. that first picture made my heart sing!
    xoxoxoxox
    -Sarah McCulley

    ReplyDelete